May 23, 2011

Broken Bones

It's been an eventful week at the Macceo house. On Wednesday the 18th Myles man fell while climbing out of a play pen and broke his right collar bone. (At least this is the story we've gotten from the 2 3year olds in the room. No one actually saw it happen.)

We took him to the urgent care for the x-ray and to see what had actually happened. He wasn't very fond of the x-ray machine and kept asking to put his shirt back on. While the nurse was getting everything ready he also told us a few times "I'm gettin out of here." We tried to get him excited by telling him that when he was done we'd get to see all of his fossil bones, but he didn't seem to care until he saw the actual x-ray, after that he was pretty stoked that he could see all of his "big chomping teeth" It ended up not being broken all the way through but it's still a pretty decent crack.

To me it looks horribly painful and from what I've heard it's not fun at all, however we have quite the trooper of a kid and so far he's acted like it's not phasing him at all.
From what the doc told us it can take 4-6 weeks to heal. (Quite the way to start the summer.)

For the first week we've had to have him in a sling plus use an ace bandage to secure his right arm to his body so there is no movement. After the first week we can take the ace bandage off and have his are just in the sling. I was instructed to "let his pain be his guide." I'm nervous about this since he seems to be in no pain at all. If I ask him he always tells me that he's good, or that it fells fine. I've hardly given him any medicine at all. I guess it's good that it's not bugging him, but at the same time, I'd feel a lot better if he at least acted like it was broken even a little. So far he's been running around the house, jumping on the beds, climbing up the slide and at one point he was trying to ride his scooter, although he just kept going around in circles, which was pretty funny.

I'm glad he's doing so well and that he's barley complained. He really is such a great kid. Now I just need to get through the next 3-4 weeks. We are praying that it heals fine and that there are no lasting effects. That's really our biggest concern now.



Always our little tough guy. Giving daddy the thumbs up after getting the news.


This is how he's been for the last 5 days. All wrapped up and huge smiles. What a trooper!